I am currently a Junior Research Fellow at St. John’s College, University of Oxford. Recently I completed my DPhil (PhD) in Department of Engineering Science at Oxford where I was a member of Christ Church (college). My research was carried out under the supervision of Dr. Antonis Papachristodoulou in the control group. My thesis focused on developing scalable methods based on convex optimization and polynomial programming for analysing the stability and performance of large-scale dynamical systems. Before joining the Department of Engineering Science I spent a year at the LSI Doctoral Training Centre. From 2006-07 I was a research assistant in the School of Systems Engineering at the University of Reading where I obtained the BSc and MSc degrees in 2005 and ’06 respectively.
- Nonlinear dynamical systems analysis based on Lyapunov techniques
- Robust control
- Large-scale systems
- Networked systems and graph theory
- Convex optimization: Semidefinite Programming, Linear Matrix Inequalities and Sum of Squares Programming
- Systems and Synthetic Biology
- We have just released SOSTOOLS v3.00 which includes support for the MATLAB symbolic maths toolbox, aditional SDP solvers and handling of polynomial matrix variables and inequalities. SOSTOOLS is available to download for free from here, the users manual with examples can be downloaded here.
If you don't have access to the online version of a paper, or would like a preprint please feel free to email me.
Citations through Google Scholar
- G. Valmorbida and J. Anderson. Region of Attraction Estimation Using Invariant Sets and Rational Lyapunov Functions, Submitted. arXiv preprint: .
- A. Sootla and J. Anderson, On Existence of Solutions to Structured Lyapunov Inequalities, Accepted to the 2016 American Control Conference, Boston MA. arXiv preprint .
- D. V. Raman, J. Anderson, and A. Papachristodoulou, A New Approach to Estimating the Robustness of Parameter Estimates to Measurement Noise, Accepted to the 2016 American Control Conference, Boston MA.
- A. Sootla and J. Anderson, Structured Projection-Based Model Reduction with Application to Stochastic Biochemical Networks, Submitted. arXiv preprint: 
- D.V. Raman, J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou, On the Performance of Nonlinear Dynamical Systems Under Parameter Perturbation, Automatica, Vol. 63, pp. 265–273, January 2016. 
- A. Harris, J.A. Dolan, C.L. Kelly, J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. Designing Genetic Feedback Controllers, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Vol 9, Issue 4, pp. 475 - 484, August 2015. 
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. Advances in Computational Lyapunov Analysis Using Sum-of-Squares Programming. Discrete and Continuous Dynamical Systems - Series B (DCDS-B), 20(8), pp. 2361 - 2381, October 2015. 
- G. Valmorbida, D. Raman and J. Anderson. Bounds for Input- and State-to-Output Properties of Uncertain Linear Systems. In Proceedings of the 8th IFAC Symposium on Robust Control Design, 2015, Bratislava, Slovakia. arXiv preprint: 
- J. Anderson and A. Sootla. Decentralised H2 norm Estimation and Guaranteed Error Bounds Using Structured Gramians. In Proceedings of the 21st International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems (MTNS 2014). PDF pre-print
- A. Sootla and J. Anderson. On Projection-Based Model Reduction of Biochemical Networks-- Part II: The Stochastic Case. In Proceedings of the 53rd IEEE CDC. arXiv preprint: 
- A. Sootla and J. Anderson. On Projection-Based Model Reduction of Biochemical Networks-- Part I: The Deterministic Case. In Proceedings of the 53rd IEEE CDC. arXiv preprint: 
- G. Valmorbida and J. Anderson. Region of Attraction Analysis via Invariant Sets. In Proceedings of the 2014 American Control Conference, Portland, OR. PDF
- M. Anghel, J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. Stability Analysis of Power Systems using Network Decomposition and Local Gain Analysis. In Proc of the Bulk Power System Dynamics and Control - IX Optimization, Security and Control of the Emerging Power Grid (IREP), Crete, August 2013. 
- J. A. J. Arpino, E. J. Hancock, J. Anderson, M. Barahona, G.-B. Stan, A. Papachristodoulou and K. Polizzi. Tuning the Dials of Synthetic Biology. To appear, Microbiology, 2013. 
- J. Dolan, J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. A Loop Shaping Approach for the Design of Biological Circuits. In Proc of the 51st IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Maui, HI, 2012. 
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. Robust Nonlinear Stability and Performance Analysis of an F/A-18 Aircraft Model Using Sum of Squares Programming. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control, 23(10), 1099-1114 
- J. Anderson, N. Strelkowa, G.-B. Stan, T. Douglas, J. Savulescu, M. Barahona and A. Papachristodoulou. Engineering and ethical perspectives in synthetic biology. EMBO Reports, June 2012. PDF
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. A Decomposition Technique for Nonlinear Dynamical System Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 57(6):1516-1521, June 2012. 
- J. Anderson, A. Teixeira, H. Sandberg and A. Papachristodoulou. Dynamical System Decomposition Using Dissipation Inequalities. In Proc. 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and European Control Conference, Orlando, FL, 2011.  Technical Report
- J. Anderson, Y.-C. Chang and A. Papachristodoulou. Model Decomposition and Reduction Tools for Large-Scale Networks in Systems Biology. Automatica 47(6):1165-1174, 2011.  preprint
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. Dynamical System Decomposition for Efficient, Sparse Analysis. In Proceedings of the 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Atlanta GA, 2010. 
- A. Papachristodoulou, Y.-C. Chang, E. August and J. Anderson. Structured Model Reduction for Dynamical Networked Systems. In Proceedings of the 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Atlanta GA, 2010. 
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. Input-Output Systems Analysis Using Sum of Squares Programming: A Decomposition Approach. In Proceedings of the 19th International Symposium on Mathematical Theory of Networks and Systems, Budapest, Hungary, 2010. 
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. A Network Decomposition Approach for Efficient Sum-of-Squares Programming Based Analysis. In Proceedings of the 2010 American Control Conference, Baltimore MD.
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. A Decomposition/Synchronization Scheme for Formulating and Solving Optimization Problems. In Proceedings of the 1st IFAC workshop on distributed estimation and control in networked systems, 2009.  preprint
- J. Anderson and A. Papachristodoulou. On Validation and Invalidation of Biological Models. BMC Bioinformatics 2009, 10:132. 
- V.M. Becerra, S.J. Nasuto, J. Anderson, M. Ceriotti and C. Bombardelli. Search space pruning and global optimization of multiple gravity assist trajectories with deep space manoeuvres. 2007 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, Singapore, 25-28 September 2007, pp. 957-964 (2007). 
- M. Vasile, M. Ceriotti, V.M. Becerra, S.J. Nasuto and J. Anderson. Global trajectory optimisation: Can we prune the solution space when considering deep space manoeuvres? Final Report, Ariadna id: 06/4101, Contract no: 20273/06/NL/HE, European Space Agency, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2007. 
- Dynamical System Decomposition and Analysis Using Convex Optimization: DPhil thesis, University of Oxford 2012
- Stabilization of a Linear Inverted Pendulum Using a Camera Based Inclinometer: MSc thesis, University of Reading, 2006
Short Project Reports
- A control theoretic approach to biological model invalidation: Supervised by Dr. Antonis Papachristodoulou
- Biomedical Signal Processing: Application of support vector machines for detecting deterioration in acutely ill patients: Supervised by Prof Lionel Tarassenko
- 2006-2007: Demonstrator- Optimal Control Lab, School of Systems Engineering, University of Reading
- 2008-2009: Demonstrator- Scientific Computing in MATLAB, DTC, University of Oxford
- 2009-2011: Demonstrator- 2nd year Control Coursework module, University of Oxford
- 2009-2011: Demonstrator- 2nd/3rd Year Helicopter Control Lab, University of Oxford
- Hilary 2012: Tutor, Mathematics and Information Engineering (P1/A1/A2) St. Hugh's College, University of Oxford. Tutorials include: Calculus, PDEs, Time/Frequency methods, Discrete Systems and Stats
- Michaelmas 2012: Tutor, Mathematics and Information Engineering (P1/A1/A2) St. Hugh's College, University of Oxford.
- Hilary 2015: Lecturer, C20 Multivariable Control: Linear Matrix Inequalities.
- Michaelmas 2015: Lecturer, C20 Multivariable Control: Linear Matrix Inequalities.
- Email: email@example.com
- Department Address: Department of Engineering Science, University of Oxford, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PJ, U.K. Telephone: +44 1865 283384